State Budget 2023-24 delivered
The Treasurer has today unveiled details of the 2023-24 Budget, and there are several items of interest for the tourism sector in South Australia, in particular:
- An additional $20.8 million over the next four years for the Major Events Fund
- An additional $18 million over the next four years to support the Adelaide 500, including more shading for grandstands
- $142.8 million over three years to deliver the state’s flood relief package, which is in addition to the $51.6 million announced in the Mid-Year Budget Review
- A $6.5 million investment over the next four years to deliver a Small Business Strategy
- $6.2 million to improve Kangaroo Island roads
- A $20 million fund to upgrade ageing jetties across the state
- $1.3 million over four years for the purchase of a reserve of flood barriers, such as DefenCell, to guard against future flood risks.
It was terrific to see a focus on growing and attracting events with funding allocated to boost the Major Events Fund, as well as attention on our regions, such as for jetty improvements, road upgrades on Kangaroo Island and additional money for flood defence.
If you would like to read more, you can access the budget papers at treasury.sa.gov.au/budget/current-budget.
We’ve just seen a record breaking start of the year, highlighted by Mad March, and then LIV Golf Adelaide and AFL Gather Round in April. With round two of the River Revival Vouchers hitting the market next week, we’re expecting a busy winter on the Murray River as South Australians continue to support the river regions significantly impacted by summer’s one in a century flood event.
Tourism in South Australia has never been stronger, and we are on track to deliver a number of initiatives this year to ensure our state remains top of mind.
Chief Executive Officer