09 Jan 2021

Adelaide serves up international tennis blockbuster

Adelaide will bookend a blockbuster Australian international tennis season with some of the world’s top players – putting on a show for A Day at the Drive at Memorial Drive later this month, followed by 70 of the best female players in the Adelaide International WTA 500 in late February.

A Day at the Drive, a one-off exhibition tournament on Friday 29 January, will feature eight of the world’s best players with more than 60 Grand Slam titles between them – Serena Williams, Rafael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Simona Halep, Dominic Thiem, Naomi Osaka and two players to be confirmed.

The tournament will be held over two sessions, with organisers aiming to have almost 4,000 spectators allowed in per session.

Premier Steven Marshall said the event is expected to attract an international audience and showcase the recently renovated Memorial Drive as a world-class tennis precinct.

“These two tournaments are a real coup for South Australia,” Premier Marshall said.

“To have players of this calibre playing at Memorial Drive is an absolute win for local tennis fans and the South Australian public.

“This is a real show of support for the way that South Australia has managed the COVID-19 pandemic and underlines our ability to attract world-class events.”

The players and their support staff will be required to quarantine, here in Adelaide, in the two weeks leading up to the event, before they travel to Melbourne. The Marshall Liberal Government secured the event working closely with Tennis Australia, the South Australian Tourism Commission, SA Health and SAPOL.

SATC chief executive Rodney Harrex said the event was South Australia’s welcome return to the international sporting arena.

“We have attracted a star-studded field to Adelaide, for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for the South Australian public to see some of best players in the world battle it out at the Drive,” he said.

Minister for Recreation, Sport and Racing Corey Wingard also confirmed that Memorial Drive would also close out the international tennis season by hosting the WTA 500 event, featuring around 70 of the world’s best female players.

“The Adelaide International event will be played straight after the Australian Open and will close out the international tennis season down under,” Minister Wingard said.

“Several of the top 10 female players in the world are expected to compete in the Adelaide International – many already know Memorial Drive and love playing here - it’s where Ash Barty became the first woman in nine years to win a title on home soil.

“Hosting events such as these in Adelaide wouldn’t be possible if the Marshall Liberal Government wasn’t building what matters through our $10 million Memorial Drive roof upgrade and our $44 million stage two redevelopment which begins in March.

“Late last year we struck a deal with Tennis Australia to host the Adelaide International for next 10 years at Memorial Drive. The inaugural tournament was a roaring success and these new events show South Australia is open for sporting business and further cements Adelaide as a tennis destination.”

More information, including ticketing to come. 

;