Event organisers confirmed overnight that cycling sprint sensation, Mario Cipollini will make the journey to Australia for the first time in 2019 to visit the Santos Tour Down Under.
Mario Cipollini said that he was looking forward to his first visit to the Santos Tour Down Under, as it is a race he has admired from afar and watched grow over the last 20 years.
“This will be my first official visit to Australia and I can’t wait to experience the Santos Tour Down Under for myself first hand,” said Mario Cipollini.
“Australian cycling fans are passionate about this sport and I know have supported me from afar throughout my career on and off the bike. There will be lots of opportunities for me to meet the fans and share my stories about life in the peloton.”
“I will be riding the Challenge Tour so expect to have company and may even pack a special skin suit for the occasion!”
Legions of Cipollini fans from around the country are encouraged to secure their tickets early to the Legends’ Night Dinner where he will be honoured for his cycling achievements, and also register to ride the Challenge Tour where Mario will make an appearance, riding the 158 km route.
Minister for Trade, Tourism and Investment, David Ridgway, said he expected cycling enthusiasts would be eager to hear about Cipollini’s days in the peloton.
“As one of the most decorated sprinters of modern times we are sure he will be set to entertain at the Legends’ Night Dinner,” said Minister Ridgway.
“It is also an ideal time to register to ride alongside him on the Challenge Tour for those wanting to tackle the 158 km route.”
Mario Cipollini was not only noticed for his achievements on the bike but also for his trademark extravagant clothing, especially racing uniforms, sporting custom-made skin suits. Some of his memorable kits include a muscle suit, zebra, tiger prints, and a techno-skinsuit.
Race Director, Mike Turtur said that Mario Cipollini is one of the most decorated sprinters of our time, taking 57 Grand Tour stage victories, making him the second highest placed rider with this achievement behind the great Eddy Merckx with 65 victories.
“Mario was listed to ride the 2000 TDU but unfortunately did not make it with the team to the start line, so this visit has been a long time coming. We are really looking forward to welcoming him to the race,” said Mike Turtur.
“We know the fans will be eagerly awaiting his arrival and can’t wait to hear from him first hand about life in the peloton and how it feels to have claimed so many Grand Tour stage wins.”
Cycling fans will have the opportunity to get up close and personal with Mario the Magnificent
at the 2019 Santos Tour Down Under at a series of free and ticketed events.
for Mario Cipollini’s scheduled appearances and events.
Mario Cipollini @ 2019 Santos Tour Down Under
Cycling fans will have the opportunity to see Mario Cipollini during his visit to the event by:
- First public appearance and public interview in the City of Adelaide Tour Village on Saturday 12 January 2019 at the Team Presentation event.
- City of Adelaide Tour Village appearance for autograph signing (final date to be confirmed).
- Riding alongside him at the Challenge Tour on Saturday 19 January 2019.
- Hear him tell tales from the peloton as he is honoured at the Legends’ Night Dinner on Saturday 19 January 2019.
- Look out for Super Mario at Willunga Hill as he attends Be Safe Be Seen Stage 6, you might be lucky enough to catch a glimpse of the great man.
Mario Cipollini Fast Facts
For media enquiries please contact:
- The Santos Tour Down Under will be Mario Cipollini’s first visit to Australia.
- Mario Cipollini has been named one of the greatest sprinters of his generation.
- Mario Cipollini has 42 individual stage wins at the Giro d’Italia, 12 at the Tour de France and three at the Vuelta a Espana in a professional racing career spanning almost two decades.
- He was the 2002 UCI World Road Champion, wearing the rainbow stripes throughout the 2003 season.
- As well as Grand Tour stage wins, Cipollini took honours too at the one day classics winning Gent-Wevelgem three times (1992, 1993 and 2002) and Milan-San Remo in 2002.
Michele D’Aloia, Grays PR
M: 0417 837 896 E: email@example.com
Kate Dinning, Grays PR
M: 0401 433 767 E: firstname.lastname@example.org