The biggest cycling race outside of Europe, the Santos Tour Down Under, will go ahead as scheduled next week.
Tour Down Under organisers have confirmed no route changes will be made following extensive consultations with the Country Fire Service, South Australia Police, and other agencies in the wake of last week’s bushfire in the Adelaide Hills.
Tourism Minister Leon Bignell said the safety of the teams and spectators had been the State Government’s top priority.
“Mike Turtur and his Tour Down Under team have been working closely with the emergency services, as well as the Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure and the Adelaide Hills Council, to assess the impacts of the bushfire,” he said.
“The safety of the riders and spectators was the highest priority during the discussions, and the organising team has taken the advice of the emergency services, with Hostworks Stage 1 and Thomas Foods Stage 3 to go ahead as planned.
“While the Santos Tour Down Under routes won’t change, it’s important to note that some roads in the region are still closed as the recovery work continues.
“Our thoughts remain with those affected by the bushfire, and our emergency services which did such an outstanding job throughout the emergency.”
Race Director, Mike Turtur said that he was pleased with the outcome, and can’t thank everyone involved enough with the decision making process.
“We’re very happy the race is able to continue as planned and hope that the communities who have been affected by the recent fires will be able to enjoy the spectacle the race will bring to their towns,” he said.
“I would also like to echo the Minister’s comments and acknowledge whole heartedly the great effort put in by CFS, SAPOL, DPTI and the host councils.”
The Santos Tour Down Under will be staged from Saturday January 17 to Sunday January 25 in Adelaide and around regional South Australia.