A stellar field of international tennis stars will take to the court in January for Adelaide’s World Tennis Challenge.
Tourism Minister, Leon Bignell, said the January 7-9 event will feature Australian legend Pat
Cash, along with retired stars Yannick Noah, Mats Wilander, Henri Leconte and Mansour Bahrami.
Female players will return to the World Tennis Challenge lineup after featuring in the event for the first time earlier this year.
“Martina Navratilova, a 59-time Grand Slam winner, will be back in Adelaide to play and we look forward to watching her display the brilliance that took her to the top,” Mr Bignell said.
“Joining Martina will be Tracy Austin, another legend of the game who remains the youngest ever US Open singles champion.”
Mr Bignell said the State Government, through Events South Australia, had been a proud supporter of the World Tennis Challenge since it began in 2009.
“This year’s event injected $4.7 million into the South Australian economy, with its broadcast reaching 5.6 million people around the world,” Mr Bignell said.
“The event allows us to showcase not only Adelaide but the diverse and accessible regions that set our state apart.”
The full lineup of current players to feature in the 2014 World Tennis Challenge is still to be announced but will include South Australia’s Thanasi Kokkinakis, a 17-year old who this year won Wimbledon’s junior doubles competition with playing partner Nick Kyrgios.
Mr Bignell said the World Tennis Challenge had consistently supported grassroots competition in addition to featuring top players.
“The event’s Be Active Challenge is always popular and this year more than 1800 people – including interstate social and club players – competed across 200 courts,” he said.
“I encourage locals and visitors alike to be part of the action at Memorial Drive as the World Tennis Challenge unfolds.”
Tickets to the event are available through Ticketek.
For more information please visit www.worldtennischallenge.com