Councils and communities across Adelaide and regional South Australia are busy preparing to welcome the Santos Tour Down Under.
There is just over a month until the award-winning event returns, with a packed calendar of activities set to keep all race fans entertained.
The eight-day Santos Festival of Cycling will include community celebrations, a gourmet gala, markets, great live entertainment and special activities for children.
Minister for Tourism Gail Gago said the festival added to the excitement generated by the southern hemisphere’s largest cycling race.
“The Santos Tour Down Under will celebrate its 15th anniversary in 2013 and the jam-packed Santos Festival of Cycling is sure to delight fans,” Ms Gago said.
“We encourage everyone to head out and enjoy the wonderful variety of associated events on offer.”
Held from January 20 to 27, the Santos Tour Down Under will begin in Adelaide and visit the Adelaide Hills, the Barossa and the Fleurieu Peninsula before returning to the city. Mount Barker will host a stage start for the first time, while Lobethal and Rostrevor are set to welcome their first stage finishes.
Ms Gago said communities across South Australia had embraced the Santos Tour Down Under since it began in 1999.
“We continue to receive fantastic support from all of our host councils, and the activities they run as part of the Santos Tour Down Under have made this event the great celebration it is today,” Ms Gago said.
“The Santos Festival of Cycling calendar offers something for everyone, along with emphasising that this is far more than simply a bike race.
“Top cyclists from around the globe – including road cycling world champion Philippe Gilbert – aren’t far away and a warm welcome awaits them and all cycling fans.”
Santos Festival of Cycling highlights include:
- Tourrific Prospect, a festive street party happening from 5pm-10:30pm on Monday 21 January in Prospect
- The Adelaide Hills Alfresco Street Party taking place from noon on Wednesday 23 January in Hahndorf
- The Flavours of Campbelltown Food Trail Market Piazza from noon – 4pm on Wednesday 23 January in Campbelltown
- The Unley Gourmet Gala from 4pm to 10pm on Wednesday 23 January in Unley
- Tour@thepark from 9:30am to 12pm on Friday 25 January in Modbury
- The Barossa Council Celebrations from 10am to 3pm on Friday 25 January in Tanunda
- Love Velo from 5:30pm to 9:30pm on Friday 25 January in McLaren Vale
- The Peloton Picnic from 10am on Saturday 26 January in Willung
- The Santos Women’s Cup – Elite Women’s Road Racing taking place on various dates in Adelaide, Prospect and Unley
- Visit the Santos Festival of Cycling page for a full list of activities
Visit the Santos Tour Down Under website for more information and the full list of Santos Festival of Cycling activities.